Friday, June 3, 2011

Highgate Cemetery

After recommendations by a few people and pleading from my sister (the cemetery is featured in one of her favorite books), I finally made it to Highgate Cemetery! It was stunning.  Green ivy covering the headstones, paths that look like they haven't been walked on in years cutting through the forest, and statues that are both beautiful and heartbreaking...all inside the city.  I popped my iPod on, listened to some classical music and wandered the grounds for about two hours.  I loved it.  I was only able to do the East side of the cemetery, I'm tempted to go back sometime this week and tour the other side.  Some people might find it creepy but I love cemeteries.  I love the history, I love the quietness, I love the contrast from gravestone to gravestone, each unique and meaningful to someone.  I found out yesterday that Highgate is one of seven large cemeteries in London, it just happens to be the most famous because Karl Marx is buried there.  Anyway, I took about a million photos but my camera is on its last leg and the green in the photos is off, the actual green was much darker...also, I was playing around with the black/white and sepia features....  :)







AHH, SPIDER NEST!!






Old vs. new...

Deathly Hallows??



Karl Marx




After leaving the cemetery I hiked up Hampstead Heath for a great view of London!



5 comments:

Colleen Oakes said...

Amazing! I can't wait to see ALL of your pictures!

Emily said...

looks really cool... gothic and serene and melancholy and beautiful all at the same time. Hope you're doing well!

Colleen Oakes said...

Deathly Hallows! Holla!

Anonymous said...

BEST PICS YET!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Graveyards! I've spent all weekend updating Maxbass ND cemetery records for Denise's family. Loved the "spider nest" one best, then the "angel & cross" from rear. any pics from inside the church??

Anonymous said...

see ya in about a week!!!!!!!!!!!

Find any antique radio stores??

Always wanted a England radio that was in operation during WWII, I can look next year when Denise and I go out

love ya daddy