Thursday, May 5, 2011

Edinburgh Part II

     I made it to Milan! I am happily relaxing in my hotel room near the airport as finding my hostel in the center of Milan in the dark didn't sound like fun.  The shuttle ride to the hotel was interesting, the Italian rules for driving appear to be the following: 1) If you don't want to pick a lane, just drive in the middle of both until another car comes along. 2) If the car in front of you is going too slow, simply let them know by positioning your bumper within 6 inches of theirs while going 60 MPH.  If they don't get the idea, try using the horn. 3) If the Police car in front of you is going too slow, follow rule #2. 4) Ignore all rules of the road, simply make your own.
Anyway, I'm at the hotel, enjoying the only TV channel in English...it's a music channel that seems to be a mix of AC/DC, Kate Bush, Ozzy Osbourne, and The Backstreet Boys.

     I had a great trip to Edinburgh with Ahman, we ate amazing food, drank a lot of wine and entertained our weird host.  After having such an amazing time meeting Ahman and Bruce through Airbnb.com I was looking forward to meeting our host in Edinburgh...it was a totally different experience.  We arrived while he was at work, collected the keys from the off license downstairs and had a chance to settle into the flat by ourselves.  The first thing we noticed was that there was only one bedroom, a bathroom, and a kitchen...so where is he going to sleep?  After a few minutes we noticed that there was an opening closed off with a curtain above our heads in the kitchen and a makeshift wall had been erected in the hallway to create a secret room.  Our host fancies himself a carpenter and has completely closed off the entrance to the lounge in his one bedroom apartment to turn it into a two bedroom with no common area...so in order to get into his "bedroom" he has to monkey climb the wall into an opening overlooking the kitchen.  Super creepy.  That was just the first of several weird discoveries/interactions with our host...needless to say I will not be returning.


Not wanting to spend too much time in the house with a secret room we spent most of our time exploring Edinburgh.  My favorite part of the trip was having steak and a bottle of wine in a rooftop restaurant watching the sun go down behind the castle. Good stuff.
Here are a few of my favorite pictures:










My first Haggis!!!




4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Creepy Host made a comment on how one of his previous guests who was a interior designer said it was a good idea to block off the lounge (and so it must be a good idea). I however commented that it was weird. I know, I put my life at risk with strange man and no companion to protect my vulnerable life alone in this strange secret roomed flat.

Hope you're having fun Okie, missing not having someone to take to work with me this evening. Airbnb host #1

Anonymous said...

I would have guessed bedroom meant at least a wall and door..this accomidation should have come with a complementary Tazer, Mace, Bear spray and a guest appearance on Edinburgh Most Wanted EMW!!
Hope the next phase of the trip is better

love daDDY


Collen came by tonight and we watched the Disney Water Video...incredable..until the whales ate the seals and the birds ate the little turtles running for the ocean...OHHHHH POPPPPPPPPPPP!!

Anonymous said...

Hi Hon,

This place sounds a bit creepy to me! However, I love the pictures especially the Alps, catheral and scenery. What was the first blackish tower? I can't believe you ate Haggis-was it edible? How's Italy? I bet it's amazing except for the mean men. Remember, you can punch them out if they bother you or get some pepper spray. I love you bunches and bouquets! Mom

Anonymous said...

Cool pics! It's so beautiful there! I miss you and Guinness does too. Talk to you soon. Mom