Thursday, June 9, 2011

Amsterdam So Far...with no pictures

I arrived yesterday to Schipol Airport, just outside central Amsterdam, at around 2pm. After taking a train and then a bus, I finally arrived at my host home in Old Town Amsterdam.  My host's name is Bobby and he is a small, black man from Curacao who is approxiamtely 75 years old.  Bobby met me at the elevator door and walked me along the balcony back to his apartment.  The building is in a really nice part of town, his rear balcony overlooks a canal and million dollar homes.  We chatted for a few mintues, he asked where I was from and what I was doing in Amsterdam.  Bobby doesn't speak English very well and much is lost in translation...for example, here is a conversation that took place yesterday"
B: "You study?"
C: "No, I graduated a few years ago."
B: "What degree?"
C: "Criminology."
B: FIVE MINUTES OF LAUGHING

I returned to my room for a few minutes and then went back to the living room

B: "I still chuckle by what you tell me."

?  
I'm wondering if the whole "ology" thing didn't translate and he thinks I told him that I am a criminal...

Anyway, after that I went out to explore the city.  I love Amsterdam, everyone is riding bikes with huge smiles on their faces! Almost every Dutch person I have encountered speaks English which is helpful to the American who doesn't even speak English very well.  I walked around for a few hours and then went on a tour of the Anne Frank House.  I can remember reading her Diary in elementary school as a 9 year old and feeling bad for her.  But seeing her house and the actual diary as an adult is heartbreaking.  I'm going reread the Diary when I get back from this trip...along with a million other history books because if this trip has taught me one thing it is that I should have paid more attention in History class.  Sorry Mr. Eman.
I stopped for dinner at an Italian restaurant (amazing garlic noodles and bread), then headed back to the apartment.  Bobby and I had awkward tea together and then I went to bed!

I'm currently sitting in an Internet Cafe in central Amsterdam.  The only light in here is the glow from the super high-tech looking computers, someone is watching a Dutch cartoon super loud, and there is a kitten walking across the keyboards of the computers next to me.
Don't worry Mom, I am leaving now.  I will meet up with Jenny and Christine later today and blog more about it tomorrow!!
Loves.

4 comments:

Colleen Oakes said...

"I still chuckle by what you tell me" PRICELESS. Come home already.

Anonymous said...

Cynthia,
Why are you blogging at 3:00 am? Why aren't you safe and sound in your bed and breakfast? Get some sleep! Four more Days! Yea, yea, yea, yea! I'm doing my Yea, Yea dance. Did you meet with your friends?
Love you,
Mom

Anonymous said...

Cynthia,
Why are you blogging at 3:00 am? Why aren't you safe and sound in your bed and breakfast? Get some sleep! Four more Days! Yea, yea, yea, yea! I'm doing my Yea, Yea dance. Did you meet with your friends?
Love you,
Mom

CynthiaMc said...

Mom, 3am Denver time (which is what the blog is set on) is 1pm in Amsterdam. I am not in an Internet cafe at 3 in the morning! :) Love you!